I’ve known for some time now that everyone has a “thing”. Admitting my “thing” isn’t really something I’m excited about but I’m hoping it will inspire you fellow weirdos to come forth and admit your “thing” too. I have always been fascinated by our little quirks. It could be anything, the way something sounds or feels, it may even be something you hate. I just want to know, what are the things that bring out your inner weirdo?
Ever since I was a young child I have had a thing for earlobes. There I said it. I know what you are thinking and no, they don’t turn me on. It is hard to explain but they are like two little fleshy security blankets that are attached to both sides of my head. So there it is folks, I rub my earlobes for comfort. I don’t do it in a creepy Mary Katherine Gallagher way where I have to shove my hands into my pits and then take a big deep whiff…
There is no way to make this “thing” of mine sound cool, or uncreepy but there it is. Out for all the world to see.
Here are just a few of the comfort quirks I have witnessed throughout the years…
– rubbing the side of the neck, just below the jawline
– rubbing tags together, on blankets, shirts, or pretty much anything and they have to feel a certain way apparently
– clenching fists
– making a weird circle shape with the middle and pointer fingers
– twisting hair, I know two people that do this one, and one of them had to have their head shaved after they twisted so much the hair fell out.
– hating corners, yet having to touch or rub them or cover them up
– rubbing top and bottom lip with the outside of the index finger in a specific pattern
I had a neighbor that would close his car doors and then run his hand down the seam of the door to make sure they were closed. Then I realized he also locked his front door 8 times, every time, so I am going to keep him off the list since he obviously has real OCD. Sorry.