Do you like slushies, snow cones, slurpees or any one of the shaved ice family members?
Of course you do, you’re human and therefore you have no choice.
Well you can thank the great city of Baltimore. The original snowball was invented there during the Industrial Revolution.
Baltimore has been the home of many firsts. (and awesome people)
- The first umbrella factory – 1828.
- The first post office system – 1774.
- The first dental school – 1840.
- The first telegraph line in the world was established between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore – 1844.
- Baltimore was the first city to implement 311 service as a non-emergency hotline.
- The first successful manned balloon launch in the United States launched from Baltimore and was operated by 13-year-old Edward Warren in 1784.
- The first professional sports organization in the United States, The Maryland Jockey Club – 1743.
- America’s first Catholic cathedral, the Baltimore Basilica of Assumption, is located in Baltimore.
- Baltimore was the first United States city to illuminate its streets using hydrogen gas – 1816.
- The first bloodshed of the Civil War, a clash between pro-South civilians and Union troops – 1861.
These, and many more, awesome people also hail from Charm City;
- Michael Phelps
- Babe Ruth
- Cal Ripken, Jr.
- Edgar Allan Poe
So yea Baltimore is cool, and so is this…
Today I would like to give a little tribute to the most impressive group I have experienced in years.
The guys I’m referring to have an impressive list of skills including but not limited to;
– speaking multiple languages
– playing instruments
– singing (with Broadway caliber voices)
– continually producing high quality videos
– and most of all looking super fine doing it all.
Yes, I am talking about the quickly rising stars that are Ylvis.
We featured the now super famous “The Fox” video a while back and I’m sure many of you thought that would be it. you. were. wrong.
If you haven’t been stalking them like we have you are missing out. They put the other groups in their genre to shame. If I were Andy Samberg and the boys of Lonely Island I would start taking notes.
We wanted to dedicate our Boston poster to Ylvis, and thank them for their newest song/video MASSACHUSETTS….
Thank you Ylvis for being what I’ve been needing in my life. You are like the perfect man. I haven’t had this giddy, angst since I was a teenager. I will be waiting patiently for new videos and if you would ever like to do a song about Virginia I will be happy to help.
I love you.
I’ve been thinking I will start a series of posts to feature our amazing city posters. I don’t know why I thought starting with Pittsburgh would be a good idea, but since I already took the time to type Pittsburgh in the title box lets just get this over with.
I actually know very little about Pittsburgh. I never considered it. Maybe it’s because they named it PITTSburgh, and for that I still say there is something wrong with the people in charge.
Throughout my searches on the interwebs I realized how wrong I have been about the city. It looks beautiful and fun.
I am still holding on to my feeling that the people are a little rowdy (like drink their faces off and fight and then be totally best friends again kind of rowdy).
Pittsburgh has really redeemed itself though and here is why:
– It is home of the Klondike bar… my taste buds thank you, my ass doesn’t.
– It is the hometown of Gene Kelly, Michael Keaton, and Christina Aguilera, Jeff Goldblum, Wiz Kalifa, and Arnold Palmer.. although I’m torn about how I feel with that list.
– It has more than 445 bridges… which does nothing for me but is still pretty impressive.
– The Dark Knight Rises did some of it’s filming there… and that movie is awesome.
I mean just look at that place…!
( photo cred )
I hope the rest of you will resist the urge to hate Pittsburgh for no reason like I did. I am a changed woman. I am sorry Pittsburghians.
This one is for you…